Skip to main content

You Can Buy Happiness this Holiday Season!

With Christmas around the corner, everyone is running around for their last minute gifts. Fortunately, you can buy happiness this holiday season. Behavioral science and social psychology studies from San Francisco State University and the book Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending, by Elizabeth Dunn and Michael Norton draw on quantitative and qualitative research explaining how to buy joy. These studies suggest that Buying Experiences, Not Possessions leads to Greater Happiness. Going to a concert, on a vacation or a dinner with your partner not only fulfills your needs for social connectedness and satisfaction, but it is the gift that keeps on giving due to the fact that it creates fond memories that you can access for the rest of our life. We do not get bored  of these memories like we would a material object. Consequently, people who purchased experiences displayed less buyers remorse than those who bought "things."  So this holiday season  instead of shopping the stores, consider thinking of creative experiences you can give to your loved ones whether it be theater tickets, sky diving, or a weekend retreat to a local hotel. Happy and Healthy Holidays everyone!

For Further Reading Check out:
Forbes: Want to Buy Happiness?
Buying New Experiences 

Or Watch this Video:
Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending

Let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you experience more happiness when you receive material gifts or an experience?

Future Therapist

#Christmas2013 #New Year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Post!

Hello Everyone! I am excited and skeptical about writing this first post. Every time you start something new and unfamiliar it can cause uncertainty. Additionally if you know me personally, I am not the most technologically savvy. I have never had an interest in writing a blog; however my uncle began a blog and mentioned how much joy and fulfillment it brought him. Also, in my pursuit of my degree I have realized that I acquire interesting and inspiring knowledge every day that can help others. Through writing this, I hope to dispel some of my creative juices, express myself professionally and hopefully light a fire in you with some of the topics I chose to post about. Please take the time to follow my uncle’s blog at   http://adventuresofteacher-dad.com/ and I look forward to writing more.  Future Therapist

Eating Away the Pain: The Connection between Trauma and Binge Eating

From a very young age we starting learning about the world around us and adjust to our environment for survival. From the way we act, think, behave, react and interact with others. Our learning comes out in practices, health habits, past times, spirituality and lifestyle choices. All of us are culturally connected to the things we eat whether we prefer rice and beans or oxtail and peas. We are additionally influenced by life events. For years scientists have recognized a link between Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the development of eating disorders, i.e. binge eating. Trauma is an actual or perceived life threatening even  often leads to a stress reaction (anxiety, fear, depression, anger). Often times in order to deal with that anxiety people turn to food, alcohol or other substances to mask, avoid or "stuff" the pain. Research shows that 1 in 4 people who binge eat  have PTSD Symptoms of PTSD and Binge Eatin g 1. Stressful memories, flash backs and trigg

Train Your Brain

With obesity on the rise in the United States, more Americans are becoming aware of their unhealthy behaviors and incorporating more healthy alternatives through diet and exercise. However, when considering overall health it is important to mention your brain. As we age, our memory and concentration fade, especially after we finish our schooling. It is important to keep your mind sharp to prevent from decline and have an overall healthier you for years to come. Even in my young age, I have realized studying and remembering things are not as easy as it was in my undergraduate studies.  Therefore, I decided to become more active in my brain health. Every day, or almost every day, I participate in fun and functional “brain training” games at Lumosity . My scores have gone up, partly because of continual practice but I have noticed my memory and concentration have improved.  Other ways to train your brain include reading, puzzles, math problems, learning new things, etc. These activities