Skip to main content

What is your Love Language?

Since I enjoy my field and learning I have come across some good reads. One book I picked up in between semesters was the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. This book talks about how people express affection over 5 "languages" including words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time and physical touch. It seems like a simple concept but rarely to couples ask their significant other "How do you feel most loved?" We just assume that our partner feels love the same ways we do whether that be saying "I love you," holding hands or even taking out the trash. Everyone has their own way of expressing and feeling love. I have taken the test to assess my love language once when I was single and yet again in my relationship. While the results changed slightly, I still had the same overriding love language of "Quality Time." When getting into a relationship, I asked my boyfriend to take the test as well. Luckily we speak the same language. We both feel loved when we spend quality time together and really take the time to give our undivided attention to one another. However, this might not be the case with every couple. If you feel most loved when you receive gifts and henceforth shower you partner with presents, they might feel more loved if you simply told them they look beautiful or handsome today (if their love language is words of affirmation.) This is important to identify in any relationship especially marriages. Take the time to figure out your love language at the 5 love languages or pick up the book and enjoy it for yourself.

Future Therapist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Post!

Hello Everyone! I am excited and skeptical about writing this first post. Every time you start something new and unfamiliar it can cause uncertainty. Additionally if you know me personally, I am not the most technologically savvy. I have never had an interest in writing a blog; however my uncle began a blog and mentioned how much joy and fulfillment it brought him. Also, in my pursuit of my degree I have realized that I acquire interesting and inspiring knowledge every day that can help others. Through writing this, I hope to dispel some of my creative juices, express myself professionally and hopefully light a fire in you with some of the topics I chose to post about. Please take the time to follow my uncle’s blog at   http://adventuresofteacher-dad.com/ and I look forward to writing more.  Future Therapist

Eating Away the Pain: The Connection between Trauma and Binge Eating

From a very young age we starting learning about the world around us and adjust to our environment for survival. From the way we act, think, behave, react and interact with others. Our learning comes out in practices, health habits, past times, spirituality and lifestyle choices. All of us are culturally connected to the things we eat whether we prefer rice and beans or oxtail and peas. We are additionally influenced by life events. For years scientists have recognized a link between Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the development of eating disorders, i.e. binge eating. Trauma is an actual or perceived life threatening even  often leads to a stress reaction (anxiety, fear, depression, anger). Often times in order to deal with that anxiety people turn to food, alcohol or other substances to mask, avoid or "stuff" the pain. Research shows that 1 in 4 people who binge eat  have PTSD Symptoms of PTSD and Binge Eatin g 1. Stressful memories, flash backs and trigg

Train Your Brain

With obesity on the rise in the United States, more Americans are becoming aware of their unhealthy behaviors and incorporating more healthy alternatives through diet and exercise. However, when considering overall health it is important to mention your brain. As we age, our memory and concentration fade, especially after we finish our schooling. It is important to keep your mind sharp to prevent from decline and have an overall healthier you for years to come. Even in my young age, I have realized studying and remembering things are not as easy as it was in my undergraduate studies.  Therefore, I decided to become more active in my brain health. Every day, or almost every day, I participate in fun and functional “brain training” games at Lumosity . My scores have gone up, partly because of continual practice but I have noticed my memory and concentration have improved.  Other ways to train your brain include reading, puzzles, math problems, learning new things, etc. These activities